February 11-13, 2022
The State of the Science will be held as a virtual experience. Read the FAQs about this change.
Participate in the 2022 State of the Science to network with fellow investigators and gain insights to new research and methods in hospice and palliative medicine.
This inaugural State of the Science symposium will overlap with the Annual Assembly on Saturday.
Those who register for the State of the Science will receive a 20% off coupon code to use towards registration for the Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care, if they choose to attend both.
About State of the Science
The purpose of the meeting is to support and advance the science of hospice and palliative care by fostering community and multidisciplinary collaboration, building capacity through investigator development, and sharing cutting-edge research by scientists at all career stages:
- hear from leading researchers about the latest science in palliative care and hospice - across the lifespan
- network as a scientific community to foster interdisciplinary collaborations
- learn the latest in research design and methods
- participate in investigator development activities across all research career stages.
Intended Symposium Outcomes
Within an inclusive community of interprofessional palliative and hospice care scientists, participants will:
- Synthesize cutting-edge research focused on care for people with serious illness that impacts practice, policy, and social justice.
- Engage with a diverse research community to foster networking, collaboration, and mentor-mentee relationships.
- Refine knowledge and skills in research methods and scientific professional development across the career trajectory.
If you're a researcher whose focus is on people with serious illness or a clinical scientist who is interested in actively working in hospice and palliative care research, or if you are considering research as a career direction, this meeting is for you.
The State of the Science in Hospice and Palliative Care offers a maximum of 7.0 Accredited Continuing Education Credits for successful participation in the live conference event. The number of CME/NCPD credits are subject to change upon faculty availability.
Thank you to our supporting partners for helping spread the news about this first ever AAHPM research symposium.
American Academy of Pediatrics
Association of Professional Chaplains
Center to Advance Palliative Care
Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
National Palliative Care Research Center
National Partnership for Healthcare and Hospice Innovation
National Quality Forum
Palliative Care Quality Collaborative
Social Work Hospice and Palliative Care Network
Society of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacists
Jean S. Kutner, MD MPH FAAHPM, Co-Chair
R. Sean Morrison, MD FAAHPM, Co-Chair
Rebecca Aslakson, MD PhD FAAHPM
Areej El-Jawahri, MD
Pamela S. Hinds, PhD RN FAAN
Kathryn Pollak, PhD
J. Nicholas Dionne-Odom, PhD RN ACHPN, Co-Chair
Abby Rosenberg, MD MS MA, Co-Chair
Melissa Aldridge, PhD MBA
Joan Carpenter, PhD CRNP
Lee Ellington, PhD
Stacy Fischer, MD
Tamryn F. Gray, RN PhD MPH
Emily Johnston, MD
Arif Kamal, MD MBA MHS FAAHPM
Cara McDermott, PharmD PhD
Oreofe Odejide, MD MPH
Eric Roeland, MD FAAHPM
Gretchen (Margaret) Schwarze, MD MPP
Alex Smith, MD MPH MS
Deborah Waldrop, PhD MS MSW LMSW
Rachel Wells, PhD MSN RN CNL