February 11-13, 2022
Music City Center
Plans are underway to host the State of the Science as an in-person meeting in 2022. Network with fellow investigators and gain insights to new research and methods in hospice and palliative medicine. An inclusive and safe environment are priorities.
This inaugural State of the Science symposium is co-located with the Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care to maximize engagement and reduce travel costs. The symposium will overlap with Annual Assembly on Saturday.
Call for Abstracts
Abstracts will be accepted beginning October 2022. The same scientific content may be submitted from the Annual Assembly call for abstracts.
About State of the Science
The purpose of the meeting is to support and advance the science of hospice and palliative care by fostering community and multidisciplinary collaboration, building capacity through investigator development, and sharing cutting-edge research by scientists at all career stages:
- hear from leading researchers about the latest science in palliative care and hospice - across the lifespan
- network as a scientific community to foster interdisciplinary collaborations
- learn the latest in research design and methods
- participate in investigator development activities across all research career stages.
Intended Symposium Outcomes
Within an inclusive community of interprofessional palliative and hospice care scientists, participants will:
- Synthesize cutting-edge research focused on care for people with serious illness that impacts practice, policy, and social justice.
- Engage with a diverse research community to foster networking, collaboration, and mentor-mentee relationships.
- Refine knowledge and skills in research methods and scientific professional development across the career trajectory.
If you're a researcher whose focus is on people with serious illness or a clinical scientist who is interested in actively working in hospice and palliative care research, or if you are considering research as a career direction, this meeting is for you.
Jean S. Kutner, MD MPH FAAHPM, Co-Chair
R. Sean Morrison, MD FAAHPM, Co-Chair
Rebecca Aslakson, MD PhD FAAHPM
Areej El-Jawahri, MD
Pamela S. Hinds, PhD RN FAAN
Kathryn Pollak, PhD
J. Nicholas Dionne-Odom, PhD RN ACHPN, Co-Chair
Abby Rosenberg, MD MS MA, Co-Chair
Melissa Aldridge, PhD MBA
Abraham Brody, PhD RN ACHPN FAAN FPCN
Joan Carpenter, PhD CRNP
Lee Ellington, PhD
Stacy Fischer, MD
Emily Johnston, MD
Arif Kamal, MD MBA MHS FAAHPM
Cara McDermott, PharmD PhD
Oreofe Odejide, MD MPH
Eric Roeland, MD FAAHPM
Gretchen (Margaret) Schwarze, MD MPP
Alex Smith, MD MPH MS
Deborah Waldrop, PhD MS MSW LMSW