March 22-24, 2024
Gather to network with fellow investigators and to share and gain insights into new research and methods in hospice and palliative medicine. The State of the Science will overlap with the Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care on Saturday morning.
About The State of the Science
The purpose of the State of the Science in Hospice and Palliative Care is to support and advance the science of hospice and palliative care by fostering community and multidisciplinary collaboration, building capacity through investigator development, and sharing cutting-edge research by scientists at all career stages wishing to:
- hear from leading researchers about the latest science in palliative care and hospice - across the lifespan
- network as a scientific community to foster interdisciplinary collaborations
- learn the latest in research design and methods
- participate in investigator development activities across all research career stages.
Intended Symposium Outcomes
Within an inclusive community of interprofessional palliative and hospice care scientists, participants will:
- Synthesize cutting-edge research focused on care for people with serious illness that impacts practice, policy, and social justice.
- Engage with a diverse research community to foster networking, collaboration, and mentor-mentee relationships.
- Refine knowledge and skills in research methods and scientific professional development across the career trajectory.
The State of the Science in Hospice and Palliative Care is designed for physicians, advanced practice nurses, pharmacists, PAs, registered nurses, researchers/scientists, psychologists, social workers, fellows, residents, chaplains and spiritual care providers, students and professionals in training and others whose focus is on people with serious illness or those interested in actively working in hospice and palliative care research as a career direction.
Stacy Fischer, MD, Co-Chair
Rachel Wells, PHD MSN RN CNL, Co-Chair
J. Nicholas Dionne-Odom, PhD RN ACHPN, Past Co-Chair
Abby Rosenberg, MD MS MA, Past Co-Chair
Melissa D. Aldridge, PHD MBA
Prasanna Ananth, MD MPH MS
Joan Carpenter, PHD CRNP ACHPN FPCN
Elizabeth Dzeng, MD PHD MPH MPhil MS
Shena Gazaway, PHD RN
Mary Isaacson, PHD RN CHPN
Sarina Isenberg, PHD MA
Emily Johnston, MD
Arif Kamal, MD MBA MHS FACP FAAHPM FASCO
Erica Kay, MD MPH
Melissa Mazor, PHD MS RN
Cara McDermott, MSC PHARMD PHD
Alexander K. Smith, MD MPH MS
Jill Steiner, MD MS
Karla Washington, PHD MSW