International Physician Scholarship
The International Physician Scholarship Fund was established to provide access to quality education for physicians who reside in low and middle-income countries (as defined by World Bank) to attend and participate in the Annual Assembly.
This scholarship program provides financial support (up to $5,000) to scholarship recipients to cover ordinary costs associated with attending the Annual Assembly registration and travel-related expenses, including airfare, taxi fare, meals, and lodging. At the Annual Assembly, scholarship recipients will gain access to the latest clinical information and research updates in hospice and palliative care from leading experts in the field.
Interested in getting involved in global palliative care? Review the list of organizations to gain insights.
Scholarships are available to physicians who work in hospice and palliative medicine and who care for seriously ill patients. Eligible physicians must permanently reside in low and middle-income countries as defined by World Bank. It is our hope that the scholarship recipients will share the knowledge attained from the Annual Assembly to improve the palliative care offerings in their home country. Preference will be given to applicants who are
- have not previously attended the Annual Assembly
- are junior in their career with 2-10 years of experience primarily in palliative care, including a resident or fellow, focused on studying palliative care, and
- whose organizations are considered least able to afford this opportunity.
How to Apply
The call for applications for the 2023 International Physician Scholarships will open in early December 2022.
Read What Past Recipients Have to Say
"Attending the sessions and exchanging experiences with people in the same field from different parts of the world has widened my perspective of palliative care, especially in palliative care research and service provision. I return to Malaysia with a renewed sense of vigor, eager to apply all that I have learned from the Assembly to my current practice."
—Farah Khalid, MBBS, 2018 scholarship recipient
"I feel privileged and grateful for the precious opportunity to attend the Assembly on the travel scholarship. The learning experience was encouraging and stimulating. I will translate the knowledge learned into my role. Meeting other providers has also helped put our efforts in Malaysia into perspective. Thanks very much!"
—Lee Ai Chong, MBBS, 2017 scholarship recipient
Congratulations to these individuals who were awarded a scholarship to the past Annual Assemblies. We are very excited that you joined us!
2020 International Scholars
- Abu Kalam MD Taifur Rahman - Bangladesh
- Avetis Babakhanyan - Armenia
- John Komu Weru - Kenya
- Sunita Panta - Nepal
- Waleed Hamdy Abdelhamid Mohammed Nafae - Egypt
- Nasreen Muhammad Saleem - Pakistan
- Clinton Anapungozichukwu Okonye - Nigeria
- Aanchal Satija - India
- Sandhya Chapagain Archarya - Nepal
- Tashi Dendup Wangdi - Bhutan
- Geraldine Ugochinyere Ndukwu - Nigeria
- Chimwemwe Kabaghe - Malawi
- Geoffrey Manda - Malawi
2019 International Scholars
- Natalia Carafizi - Moldova
- Mohammed Yunis Khilji - India
- Muhammad Atif Waqar - Pakistan
- Kayode Oluseun Olafimihan - Nigeria
- Zohora Jameela Khan - Bangladesh
- Sunilkumar Mupliyath Madhavan - India
- Spandana Rayala - India
- Sayed Karar Ali - Kenya
- Martin Ignacio Mindeguia - Argentina