AAHPM Member Councils
Members are given the opportunity to join councils within the Academy. These councils, created by the Board of Directors, provide opportunities for engagement in the Academy and represent two of the Academy's largest constituent groups:
Academic Palliative Medicine - work through the Academy governance structure to ensure that issues and programs important to academic palliative medicine physicians are addressed and developed. The APM Council will foster and build meaningful communication, connection, and collaboration among academic palliative medicine professionals, expand and develop opportunities for physicians to further engage within the Academy, and identify and develop resources for academic palliative medicine physicians.
Hospice Medicine - work through the Academy governance structure to ensure that issues and programs important to hospice physicians are addressed and developed. The HM Council will foster and build meaningful communication, connection and collaboration among hospice professionals, expand and develop opportunities for hospice physicians to further engage within the Academy and identify and support resources for hospice physicians.
Pediatric - work through the Academy governance structure to ensure that issues and programs important to pediatric members are addressed and developed. The Peds Council will further develop advocacy for ongoing concurrent care in pediatrics, quality improvement and research initiatives, and pediatric educational priorities in HPM training.
Councils also provide input on key initiatives and activities within AAHPM and create a community where individuals who work in similar settings can more easily connect and support one another.
How to Join a Council
Follow these instructions to join a council. Once you have joined, you will automatically be included in the AAHPM Connect community platform.
- Log in to your AAHPM account.
- Select "My Communities" on the left navigation menu.
- Add a checkmark to each community you would like to be a part of.
- Click "Save" and you will be added to the Connect community.
Apply to Join the Council Leadership Teams
AAHPM offers members the opportunity to serve on a seven-person leadership team that guides each council. You are encouraged to apply to join the council leadership teams.
Applications will reopen in the Summer of 2023.
- Agree to serve a two-year term with the possibility of reappointment.
- Be an AAHPM member in good standing for a minimum of 5 consecutive years with previous experience in leadership or committee work.
- Hold current hospice and palliative medicine subspecialty board certification by one of the 10 cosponsoring members of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists, American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (ABHPM) or the Hospice Medical Director Certification Board.
- Submit a full conflict of interest disclosure with the application and two recommendation forms.
- Participate in up to eight conference calls annually.
- Participate in an annual in-person meeting
- Promote and serve as an ambassador of the Academic Palliative Medicine Council, Hospice Medicine Council, and the Pediatrics Council to AAHPM members.
- Provide subject matter expertise to Academy leadership
- Implement strategic priorities of the councils