Help AAHPM Retain its Voice in the House of Medicine
Count us in at the AMA
Through the American Medical Association (AMA), AAHPM has been afforded tremendous opportunities to increase awareness of the field, advance the interests of patients with serious illness, and promote policy that services hospice and palliative medicine providers.
AAHPM Under Review
AAHPM's continued representation in the American Medical Association (AMA) depends on having a sufficient number of Academy members (practicing/emeritus physicians) who are also members of the AMA. AAHPM’s status is reviewed every five years and successfully passed!
Thank you to all of our members who also joined the AMA to help AAHPM keep their seat in the House of Delegates.
Why This is Important
AAHPM's representation in the AMA is mission critical to the field of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. As an AAHPM member, your membership in the AMA helps ensure the Academy can continue to:
- lead the AMA Pain and Palliative Medicine Section Council (AAHPM's delegate is the elected chair)
- influence AMA policymaking on key issues of importance to our field, as well as updates to the Code of Medical Ethics
- increase awareness of HPM among other physicians and medical students looking to select a field
- enjoy representation on AMA bodies, including:
- the AMA House of Delegates - the key policymaking body for AMA which also directs how AMA engages with lawmakers and regulators.
- the AMA Opioid Task Force - where the Academy offers a unique voice, urging balance public policy that recognizes patients with legitimate need and the prescribing patterns appropriate for HPM practice.
- the AMA/Specialty Society Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) Advisory Committee and the CPT-RUC Emerging Issues Workgroup - as the RUC recommends values for CPT codes to CMS, such as the advance care planning codes and complex chronic care management codes, it's crucial for AAHPM to be able to help guide such deliberation.
Learn more about the Academy's role in the AMA.
Thank you for your support of the Academy and for ensuring Hospice and Palliative Medicine is represented in the House of Medicine!