Taking the HPM Board Exam
- Allopathic initial certification exam: November 1, 2022
- Allopathic continuing certification: November 1, 2021 and November 1, 2022
- The subspecialty of HPM is administered by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). ABIM has extended all MOC requirement deadlines through 2022. Learn more.
- Osteopathic initial continuing certification exams are offered once each year, generally every August.
Please contact your primary Board for full details.
Apply through your Primary Board
How to Prepare
Whether you study best with books, online tests, or recordings, there are many ways that you can tailor your studies with AAHPM products. CME and MOC credits are available with these preparatory activities.
The Academy has launched a new online learning platform called AAHPM Learn. This platform allows learners to improve skills, extend professional knowledge and competence, and continue and track professional development all in one place.
Intensive Review Course
The 2022 Intensive Review Course recording is available through AAHPM Learn. A great option for those looking to study for the Hospice and Palliative Medicine board exam at home. The IRC faculty have reviewed the 2018 and 2020 hospice and palliative medicine exam blueprints and endorsed the recording as a resource to prepare for the 2022 exam.
There is no CME credit for this recording.
Separately, you can purchase Test Taking Like a Pro to learn technical tips to assist physicians in navigating the board certification exam questions. This session is included in the full recording above but can be purchased as a single item.
Essential Practices in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
The Essentials books and learning modules are written to serve as board preparation and cover a variety of topics in hospice and palliative medicine. Once you have read the books, utilize the online learning modules, a confidence-based learning system for ongoing assessment and training.
Available as books and learning modules.
For a more focused assessment, we offer four mini practice tests with the HPM FAST online modules. Focusing on four critical topics in the field, HPM FAST modules are 25-item online practice tests to offer additional educational content on the following topic areas: psychiatry and cognition, pediatrics, hospice regulatory, prognostication.
Available as an online test.
Stay abreast of the current evidence in the field by attending the Annual Assembly, listening to downloadable recordings, and reading up on new research and literature in the field.
- PC-FACS (Fast Article Critical Summaries for Clinicians in Palliative Care)
- JPSM (Journal of Pain and Symptom Management)
- Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Care
- Fast Facts and Concepts developed by PCNOW
Be sure to fully understand the rules and logistics for taking your examination. Carefully read all materials you receive from your primary board concerning the instructions for registering for your exam.