Fellows of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
One of the highest honors the Academy can bestow on an AAHPM member is recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (FAAHPM).
This honor is achieved by members whose professional activity is devoted to the practice of hospice and palliative medicine. Fellow status is now open to all members of AAHPM.
These individuals request and voluntarily submit applications for fellow status, inviting an evaluation of their practice by their peers of their personal integrity, knowledge of the field, professional accomplishment, and demonstrated scholarship.
All AAHPM members are eligible to apply for the FAAHPM designation if they meet the following criteria:
- AAHPM members in good standing for at least seven (7) years.
Applicants who have not completed seven years of membership by the application deadline will NOT have their application reviewed.
- One year of Fellow Membership can count towards this requirement.
- Students and Resident memberships do not count towards this requirement.
- Physician applicants must currently hold a Hospice and Palliative Medicine board certification by one of the 10 cosponsoring members of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) sub-specialty, the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists, or the Hospice Medical Director Certification board (HMDCB).
- Evidence of professional activity in the field of Hospice and/or Palliative Care.
- Significant expertise, commitment to scholarship, and practice in the field of Hospice and Palliative Care, as defined within the application.
- Two official forms of recommendation are required.
- The first letter must be from any AAHPM member in good standing.
- The second letter should be from either a supervisor, colleague, or current member of AAHPM.
- An attached Curriculum Vitae (please limit to no more than 8 pages).
- Applicants must acquire a minimum of 130 points as defined within the application.
Access a sample application to view the full list of requirements to apply for the 2023 FAAHPM class.
How to Apply
Fellows of the Academy applications closed October 5, 2023.
- Complete the Application - All applications must be submitted through the Academy's online application portal.
Any PDF, Word documents, or handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Two Letters of Recommendation - Please give notice to those recommending you for the FAAHPM distinction that an email will be sent to them with the link to the recommendation form. No LOR attachments will be accepted. All must be done through the portal.
- Submit the Application Fee - submit the fee of $350 by:
- Credit Card - call AAHPM Member Services at 847.375.4712
- Check by mail - see FAAHPM application for mailing address
Congratulations 2022 Fellows
Current Fellows of the Academy
By demonstrating significant commitment to the field of hospice and palliative medicine, we celebrate the professionals who have earned and maintain the status Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (FAAHPM).