Tools to Address Opioid Prescribing
Rapidly rising rates of opioid use disorder and overdose death have created a public health imperative to address opioid misuse and diversion. AAHPM is working to ensure members understand the issues, have resources to improve their practice, and can advocate for balanced public policy.
Pain Management & Practices for Prescribing
Stay ahead of the curve and continue learning about pain management and safe prescribing. These resources from AAHPM and other organizations can help increase your knowledge in pain management.
- Pain and Symptom Management, Part 1 and Part 2 - contains multiple MP3 recordings
- Practicing Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Managing Pain in Opioid-Dependent Patients - recorded at the 2016 Annual Assembly
- Essentials Book 3: Pain Assessment and Management - softback book on assessing and managing various types of pain
- CDC Guideline - review the 2016 guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain and related fact sheet.
- Co-Prescribing Naloxone - read the AMA backgrounder to learn about co-prescribing naloxone for patients at risk of overdose.
- A Primer on the Opioid Morbidity and Mortality Crisis: What Every Prescriber Should Know" - free e-learning module from the AMA. CME credit available.
- Prescription Drug Overdoses - learn more from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
State Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMP)
AAHPM is committed to partnering with policymakers in an effort to enhance prescribers’ knowledge and skills in order to improve care and outcomes for patients and increase public health and safety. An effective network of state prescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) is a key tool in such efforts.
Promote Safe Storage and Disposal
Review guidance from the AMA and AAHPM on the safe storage and disposal of medications.
Use the DEA locator to find a controlled substance disposal location near you!
Understand Substance Use Disorder
It is important that every prescriber understand and effectively assess the risks for substance use disorder. Utilize the following resources to help identify these risks.
- Opioid Therapy in the Seriously Ill: Managing Substance Abuse Risk - webinar to help assess and manage substance abuse outcomes. Also available as an MP3.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine - a valuable resource for assessing addiction or substance use
AAHPM Opioid Partnerships
AAHPM recognizes the public health imperative to address the opioid crisis and has partnered with various organizations to provide continuing education to health care providers.
Collaborative for Relevant Education (CO*RE)
The Academy is a founding member of CO*RE, a group of 11 healthcare professional organizations that provides opioid education and information on the latest on state level data, programs, and laws related to opioids.
- Opioid Information by State - view information per state on prescribing policies, overdose death data, and more
- Patient Counseling and Screening - use these tools to appropriately assess and monitor opioid use
- Read Field Notes - read highlight on current topics, compelling stories, and CO*RE outcomes to broaden awareness.
- Opioid Analgesic REMS - FDA expand REMS training to include more opioids and health care providers
American Medical Association (AMA) Opioid Task Force
AAHPM is a member of the AMA Opioid Task Force. This group of healthcare associations is working to develop policy recommendations, clinical best practices, and educational resources to reduce the nation’s burden from opioid-related misuse, overdose and death.
Review the Task Force recommendations and resources at www.end-opioid-epidemic.org.