Quality Guidelines, Standards, and Measures
Program Standards & Guidelines
- A National Framework and Preferred Practices for Palliative and Hospice Care Quality (National Quality Forum [NQF], 2006)
- (P) Four articles in the Journal of Palliative Medicine set out consensus recommendations for how to implement the NQF Framework and Preferred Practices.
- (H) Accreditation for hospice programs is offered by several organizations. The specific standards used by these accrediting organizations are only available as part of proprietary material. See each organization's website:
Clinical Guidelines with Specific Palliative Care Content
The National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care's Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care 4th edition (2018) is available online.
COMING SOON. AAHPM's Quality & Practice Standards Task Force plans to develop a resource list of clinical guidelines that are notable for their usefulness to hospice and palliative medicine practitioners in various settings. We need your help to develop this resource list. Please fill out the HPM Quality Community form to submit suggestions and recommendations for guidelines to add to this page.
Indicator Sets and Measurement Tools
- National Quality Forum Quality Positioning System (QPS)—a search tool to find NQF endorsed measures. Search for "Hospice and Palliative Care."
- The AMA's Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement (PCPI); AAHPM participates
- PCPI measure list (scroll down to find the Palliative Care Measure set)
- VA Family Assessment of Treatment at End of Life Short Form (FATE-S)
- The final report of the National Quality Forum project, National Voluntary Consensus Standards for Palliative Care and End-of-Life Care