Primer of Palliative Care, 7th Edition
The Primer of Palliative Care has released its 7th edition. The Primer is a comprehensive, introductory text essential for all healthcare practitioners interested in hospice and palliative care. First published in 1994, this pocket-sized handbook has grown as the field has evolved.
This updated introductory guide is the perfect resource for all members of the palliative care team. The Primer of Palliative Care is a favorite educational tool used by fellowship programs and teaching institutions to introduce the core, essential concepts in high-quality care for patients facing serious or life-threatening illnesses and their families.
- Introduction to Hospice and Palliative Care
- Pain Management
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms
- Delirium, Depression & Anxiety, and Fatigue
- Spiritual and Existential Suffering, the Search for Meaning, and Provider Self-Care
- Advance Care Planning: Goal Setting, Prognosticating, and Surrogate Decision Making
- Last-Resort Options
- Care During the Last Hours of Life
- Special Considerations for Infants and Children
- Equianalgesic Guide for Adults and Children
We provide the Primer to all our new nurses and staff physicians – it has the most up-to-date information. Not only is it concise and comprehensive in symptom management, but it also provides valuable case studies and discussion points to further assist you in developing your skills to be successful in hospice and palliative medicine.
- Bart Rider, DO HMDC, Medical Director
Saint Francis Hospice, Tulsa, OK
I've been using the Primer for years. As a Hospice Medical Director, I educate others. In our 4-year Family Medicine Residency Program, each resident spends a month working with us on our Comfort Care Unit and making home visits. Each of them receives a copy of the Primer, which serves them well, both during their rotation with us and in their further endeavors. It's a small investment in the future - for both these soon-to-be primary care physicians, and for hospice and palliative medicine as well.
- William Zeidler, MD HMDC, Medical Director
Middlesex Hospital, Middletown, CT
The Primer is an essential tool used for our training of students, residents and fellows. We have made it required reading for all of our learners and have found that the content is suitable for all levels of training. It is the best book available to either read alone, use as a reference, or as guide to a clinical palliative care rotation.
- Alan R. Roth, DO FAAFP FAAHPM, Chief, Palliative Care Medicine and Director, Palliative Care Fellowship Program
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Jamaica, NY
View the authors of the Primer of Palliative Care.
Timothy E. Quill, MD FACP FAAHPM
Vyjeyanthi Periyakoil, MD
Erin Denney-Koelsch, MD FAAHPM
Patrick White, MD HMDC FACP FAAHPM
Donna Zhukovsky, MD FACP FAAHPM