AAHPM Advocacy Amplifies Your Voice
AAHPM brings the stories of hospice and palliative medicine directly to policymakers, promoting issues of importance to patients with serious illness and the health professionals who care for them.
Leveraging its representation in Washington, DC, the Academy tracks critical health policy developments and works to ensure that the interests of the field are advanced in the legislative and regulatory arenas. AAHPM is pleased to offer these pages as a resource to help you
- understand key issues
- stay informed about developments in the hospice and palliative medicine field
- read recent news regarding AAHPM's advocacy efforts and health policy updates
- take action on the issues that matter most to you.
AAHPM members play a leading role in the Academy's advocacy efforts. The following committees offer particular subject-matter expertise to help advance the Academy's public policy agenda.
- The Public Policy Committee helps define the Academy's public policy priorities, monitors and responds to federal developments, and oversees AAHPM's advocacy initiatives.
- The State Health Policy Issues Working Group examines state healthcare policy and works to support members as they advocate on behalf of their patients and the field at the state level. All AAHPM members are welcome to join the AAHPM Connect State Health Policy Discussion Community.
- The Quality-Payment Working Group helps the Academy to examine and respond to federal initiatives related to value-based reimbursement, particularly implementation of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA). This cross-functional workgroup draws expertise from the Quality and Public Policy Committees.
"Whether you are a seasoned HPM clinician or new to the specialty, the Academy encourages involvement to foster professional growth and collaboration with peers in the field. As trusted experts, AAHPM provides extensive resources for education, practice standards, advocacy, and leadership. Membership has been invaluable for me, helping to advance my career by expanding my skill set and networking circle."
—Ruth Thomson, DO FACOI FAAHPM, Member since 2006
To support the Academy's advocacy efforts, AAHPM contracts with Hart Health Strategies, a bipartisan, DC-based consulting and lobbying firm specializing in legislative and regulatory healthcare issues. The Hart team has extensive experience working on federal healthcare legislation and rulemaking for health programs, as well as strategic planning, coalition building, advocating for health care funding, and conducting public policy research.