AAHPM Advocacy Amplifies Your Voice
AAHPM brings the stories of hospice and palliative medicine directly to policymakers, promoting issues of importance to patients with serious illness and the health professionals who care for them.
Leveraging its representation in Washington, DC, the Academy tracks critical health policy developments and works to ensure that the interests of the field are advanced in the legislative and regulatory arenas. AAHPM is pleased to offer these pages as a resource to help you
- understand key issues
- stay informed about developments in the hospice and palliative medicine field
- take action on the issues that matter most to you.
AAHPM's members are at the leading edge of its advocacy efforts, lending the credibility of a provider perspective to every action. At the heart of these advocacy efforts are the Academy's advocacy-related committee and working groups.
- AAHPM's Public Policy Committee helps define the Academy's public policy agenda and oversees its advocacy initiatives.
- The State Health Policy Issues Working Group guides efforts to develop an infrastructure to examine state healthcare policy and provide members with resources necessary to advocate on behalf of their patients and the field at the state level. All AAHPM members are welcome to join the AAHPM Connect State Health Policy Discussion Community.
- The Emerging Payment and Delivery Models Working Group tracks innovative models and provides subject-matter expertise on the role of palliative and hospice care providers and organizations in new payment and delivery systems.
"Whether you are a seasoned HPM clinician or new to the specialty, the Academy encourages involvement to foster professional growth and collaboration with peers in the field. As trusted experts, AAHPM provides extensive resources for education, practice standards, advocacy, and leadership. Membership has been invaluable for me, helping to advance my career by expanding my skill set and networking circle."
—Ruth Thomson, DO FACOI FAAHPM, Member since 2006
AAHPM contracts with Hart Health Strategies, a bipartisan, DC-based consulting and lobbying firm and known leader in legislative and regulatory advocacy on healthcare issues. The Hart team has extensive experience working on federal healthcare legislation and the rulemaking and regulatory process for health programs, and it has trusted relationships with key lawmakers and staff. The firm plays an integral role in securing meetings with congressional offices when AAHPM's members participate in the annual Capitol Hill Days fly-in.