Getting Involved in AAHPM
Looking to become more involved in the Academy? There are many ways to participate in the organization’s activities, from joining a special interest group to serving on a committee, to writing for the newsletter or journal.
The Call for Volunteers is now closed and will reopen in October 2017.
Volunteer service is primarily completed through a combination of e-mail correspondence and conference calls (often monthly) to advance specific committee charges. Committee members are appointed to serve a 2-year term.
Advisory or Working Groups
Volunteer service may require a rapid response and include monthly (or more frequent) conference calls and e-mail correspondence to address emerging issues. Advisory or working group members are appointed to serve a 2-year term.
Volunteer service is focused on a single project involving an intensive amount of work over a short period of time, such as being an item writer for practice exams or manuscript reviewer. Service is 1 year or less in duration.
If you’ve missed the deadline to apply for a volunteer position but are still interested in contributing to the Academy, consider the following.
Write an Article
A great way to get involved in AAHPM is to write an article for the
- Journal - Read the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management author guidelines
- Newsletter - AAHPM welcomes articles written by members in all areas of hospice and palliative medicine.
- Blog - Blog posts are accepted on any subject related to hospice and palliative medicine, and should be brief (average is 250 words) and represent you—your personality, your personal experiences, and your views.
Join a Community
Special interest groups (SIGs) provide a forum for interested members to discuss topics of common interest. All SIGs meet at the AAHPM Annual Assembly and interact virtually throughout the year.
Questions about how to join a community? Call Member Services at 847.375.4712 for questions.
Submit an Abstract for the Annual Assembly
The Annual Assembly Planning Committee issues three separate calls for proposals for the Assembly.
- Call 1 - for preconference workshops, concurrent sessions, and SIG symposia is in spring
- Call 2 - for research-based papers and posters is in summer
- Call 3 - for case study sessions from professionals and professionals in training is in fall