Quality Improvement (QI) Education Resources
We aim to provide resources and tools to improve the delivery of healthcare within all seriously ill populations across all settings, including but not limited to hospice and palliative care patients. Quality improvement (QI) is incorporated into maintenance of certification and physicians and other clinicians need the necessary tools to meet this demand.
Quality measurement is significant to healthcare and plays a critical role in physician payment.
Benefits of Quality Improvement
Setting ambitious improvement aims can be disheartening when teams lack the skills to take on big challenges. Some individuals express doubt when organizations introduce large-scale collaboratives, but when you see quality measures moving in the right direction, you find the project worthwhile.
View an interview from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) to see how their vocal skeptics became improvement champions.
Managing Successful Improvement Projects
Successful improvement projects require a clear aim statement, a measurement strategy, leadership support, and more. Although these key ingredients don't guarantee success, you still have to manage the project.
Learn five key strategies for effective project management from a summary on the IHI blog as it looks back on a popular WIHI broadcast, focusing on learning, rather than perfection, and setting an end date.
AAHPM Products for Quality Improvement
AAHPM has many MP3 products for on-the-go training related to quality improvement. programs in your organization.
- Doing Quality Improvement Together: How to Participate
- Making Your Measurement Matter: The AAHPM & HPNA Measuring What Matters Project
- Pearls for Practice: Quality and Performance Improvement
- 2018 Pearls for Practice: Quality and Performance Improvement
- Together We Can Go Farther: Using Palliative care Collaboratives to Drive Quality Improvement
These quality improvement resources and tools can be utilized to facilitate quality improvement initiatives. Some of the following opportunities require a membership or participation fee. Inclusion on this list is not an endorsement by AAHPM.
- AMA STEPS Forward® Modules
- The Science of Improvement on a Whiteboard - this short video from IHI explains many foundational concepts
- An Introduction to the Model for Improvement - this on-demand video from IHI explains how to use the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycle
- National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care - promotes the implementation of Clinical Practice Guidelines that ensure care of consistent and high quality, and that guides the development and structure of new and existing palliative care services
- TRAIN - free online quality improvement courses
- Using Lean Accounting for Thoughtful Decision-Making - this blog discusses a useful tool that offers a basic set of measurements that can help review quality, capacity, and financial performance on a weekly basis
- MIPS Participation and Overview Fact Sheet and Bonus Overview Fact Sheet