AAHPM Member Councils
Members are given the opportunity to join councils within the Academy. These councils, created by the Board of Directors, provide opportunities for engagement in the Academy and represent two of the Academy's largest constituent groups:
- Academic Palliative Medicine
- Hospice Medicine
Councils also provide input on key initiatives and activities within AAHPM and create a community where individuals who work in similar settings can more easily connect and support one another.
How to Join a Council
Follow these instructions to join a council. Once you have joined, you will automatically be included in the AAHPM Connect community platform.
- Log in to your AAHPM account.
- Select "My Communities" on the left navigation menu.
- Add a checkmark to each community you would like to be a part of.
- Click "Save" and you will be added to the Connect community.
Apply to Join the Council Leadership Teams
AAHPM offers members the opportunity to serve as a leader of the Hospice Medicine Council (HMC) or the Academic Palliative Medicine Council (APMC) and encourage you to apply to join the council leadership teams. Academic Palliative Medicine and Hospice Medicine Counil applications for 2019 is now closed. Applications will reopen in the Fall of 2020.
- Agree to serve a two-year term with the possibility of reappointment.
- Be an AAHPM member in good standing for a minimum of 5 consecutive years with previous experience in leadership or committee work.
- Hold current hospice and palliative medicine subspecialty board certification by one of the 10 cosponsoring members of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists, American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (ABHPM) or the Hospice Medical Director Certification Board.
- Submit a full conflict of interest disclosure with application and two recommendation forms.
- Participate in up to eight conference calls annually.
- Participate in an annual in-person meeting
- Promote and serve as an ambassador of the Hospice Medicine Council and the Academic Palliative Medicine Council to AAHPM members.
- Provide subject matter expertise to Academy leadership
- Implement strategic priorities of the councils