AAHPM Leadership Forum: Ascend
2020 Ascend: One Size Does NOT Fit All - Influencing, Coaching and Leading in a Changing Environment
October 4-6, 2020
The Hyatt Lodge, Oak Brook, IL
The 2020 Ascend program is a two-day intensive to help hospice and palliative care professionals develop the capabilities required to lead their organization in implementing new directions. This leadership program is developed by hospice and palliative care professionals FOR hospice and palliative care professionals.
Attendees will take part in networking opportunities with HPM colleagues and leaders. Ascend includes small group learning experiences, led by HPM leaders, using case-based learning techniques to navigate difficult situations and resolve challenges in a variety of hospice and palliative care settings.
Ascend at a Glance
The first evening will focus on key lessons in leadership. This year’s presenter is Joanne Wolfe, MD MPH FAAHPM. Joanne will share insights from her leadership journey.
The following day, Darryl Harris, an internationally renowned speaker, trainer, facilitator, and coach will help participants uncover creative ways to empower and energize teams, team leaders, managers, and staff. Darryl’s highly interactive full day session will cover:
- Change management, covering all the topics we covered in the past,
- Coaching and counseling having crucial conversations as in the past,
- Influencing without authority, managing upwards, showing benefit to the recipient, overcoming objections assertively and making decisions based on facts and not emotionally,
- Conflict resolution, using conflict to develop effective teams with all outcomes being achieved through assertive behaviors,
- Understanding the need for different leadership styles and adjusting accordingly,
- Realizing that one size does not fit all.
On the final day, participants will engage in small group activities practicing what they learned from Darryl’s presentation. Small group engagement will also include a session where leaders within the field of HPM will share their stories of challenge, as well as the concrete and practical steps they took during those challenges that you can then apply in your world.
Registration will open in June.
Additional details will be available in Spring 2020, including speakers, schedule, pricing, and more.
Watch short clips of what past attendees had to say about their Ascend experience. Each attendee is at a different stage in their leadership career and looking for tools to help them excel in their current role.
Meet Shellie - a physician and new participant
Meet Dillion - an early career physician
Meet Kathryn - a seasoned professional
Meet Lynn - a fellowship director
Meet Katie - an Ascend faculty member