Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars Fund
The Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars Fund is an initiative designed to increase the number of qualified hospice and palliative medicine physicians who have access to specialized leadership development opportunities to supplement clinical training. Through the generous support of the Hearst Foundations, this fund provides scholarships to AAHPM physician members who are interested in participating in select professional development activities.
About the Hearst Leadership Scholars Fund
Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars receive up to $5,000 in funding ($2,500/year over a two-year grant) to participate in leadership development engagement activities. Applicants are responsible for customizing a leadership development plan aligned with the AAHPM leadership core competencies.
Call for applications will open in early March 2019.
2018 Hearst Scholars
Congratulations to the 2018 Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars!
Bonnie Chen, MD
Jane deLima Thomas, MD FAAHPM
Yuya Hagiwara, MD MHPE
Tracy Hills, DO
Gary Hsin, MD FAAHPM
Allison Jordan, MD HMDC
Karrie Lu, MD
Sonia Malhotra, MD MS FAAP
Heather Mikes, DO
Kristina Newport, MD FAAHPM
Kevin Nguyen, MD
Charles Rhee, MD
Dillon Stein, DO
Jason Webb, MD
David Wu, MD
This scholarship offers funds to cover educational conference and course fees, travel support, career development assessments and coaching services, and professional development materials. Scholars are responsible for customizing their training agenda to meet their individual learning and engagement needs. As a result, recipients will have a two-year self-directed leadership and career development plan to catalyze and enhance their emergence and effectiveness as a leader. Hearst AAHPM Scholars will gain a community of peers whom they can learn and grow with.
The program will supported up to 15 Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars in 2018 ($2,500 each). Applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to palliative care and leadership development.
- should not be a current recipient of a career development award at the time of initial Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars funding (e.g. AAHPM Access Fund, NIH K-Award, VA career award, National Palliative Care Research Center, Sojourn Scholars, or other funded career award).
- must be AAHPM physician members.
- should be physicians who are board certified in hospice and palliative medicine board certified and/or hospice medical director certified.
2018 Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars who completed the required documentation at the end of the first award year will be eligible to request a second year of funding support ($2,500).
Goals of the Program
- Invest in leadership and career development, enabling Scholars to refine nonclinical leadership skills.
- Support Scholars’ plans to develop the capabilities required to lead their organizations and to advance the field of hospice and palliative medicine.
- Identify emerging leaders who are physicians committed to improving access to, knowledge about, and quality of palliative care.
Support the Hearst Leadership Scholars Fund
You can help support scholarships for members to participate in leadership development activities. Help us to create opportunities for future leaders to continue to build a strong field for hospice and palliative medicine.
AAHPM qualifies for tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code as a not-for-profit corporation. Donors are encouraged to consult their tax advisors for information about the deductibility of these donations.