Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars Fund
The Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars Fund is an initiative designed to increase the number of qualified hospice and palliative medicine physicians who have access to specialized leadership development opportunities to supplement clinical training. Through the generous support of the Hearst Foundations, this fund will provide scholarships to AAHPM physician members who are interested in participating in select professional development activities.
About the Hearst Leadership Scholars Fund
Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars receive up to $5,000 in funding ($2,500/year over a two-year grant) to participate in leadership development engagement activities, such as 2018 Ascend: Leading and Managing Through Change, designed to support growth as a leader. Applicants are responsible for customizing a leadership development plan aligned with the AAHPM leadership core competencies.
Call for applications is NOW OPEN!
This scholarship offers funds to cover educational conference and course fees, travel support, career development assessments and coaching services, and professional development materials. Scholars are responsible for customizing their training agenda to meet their individual learning and engagement needs. As a result, recipients will have a two-year self-directed leadership and career development plan to catalyze and enhance their emergence and effectiveness as a leader. Hearst AAHPM Scholars will gain a community of peers whom they can learn and grow with.
The program will support up to 15 Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars in 2018 ($2,500 each). Applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to palliative care and leadership development.
- should not be a current recipient of a career development award at the time of initial Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars funding (e.g. AAHPM Access Fund, NIH K-Award, VA career award, National Palliative Care Research Center, Sojourn Scholars, or other funded career award).
- must be AAHPM physician members.
- should be physicians who are board certified in hospice and palliative medicine board certified and/or hospice medical director certified.
2018 Hearst AAHPM Leadership Scholars who complete the required documentation at the end of the first award year will be eligible to request a second year of funding support ($2,500).
Scholarship applications including required attachments are due by July 2, 2018 at 4 pm CT.
Goals of the Program
- Invest in leadership and career development, enabling Scholars to refine nonclinical leadership skills.
- Support Scholars’ plans to develop the capabilities required to lead their organizations and to advance the field of hospice and palliative medicine.
- Identify emerging leaders who are physicians committed to improving access to, knowledge about, and quality of palliative care.