AAHPM offers multiple webinars throughout the year. Currently, there are no upcoming webinars. All past webinars are available for purchase as an audio file or video file in the online store.
Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives
Ronald Crossno, MD CMD HMDC FAAFP FAAHPM and Daniel Fischberg, MD PhD FAAHPM
Prescribing opioids for pain and symptom management is standard practice for hospice and palliative care practitioners. Unfortunately, misuse, abuse, diversion, addiction and overdose of these drugs has created a serious public health epidemic in the United States. In 2015, 63.1% of the drug overdose deaths involved an opioid.
AAHPM is a member of the Collaborative on Relevant Education (CO*RE), which is made up of 11 inter-professional organizations representing nearly 400,000 clinician members, including MDs/DOs, NPs and PAs, who practice in primary care, addiction, pain, and hospice palliative care medicine, and other specialties.
Upon completion of this REMS-compliant educational activity, the learner will be considered a “completer” of the FDA-recommended, REMS-compliant training on Extended Release/Long Acting (ER/LA) opioid analgesics. In addition to a robust presentation on Extended Release/Long Acting (ER/LA) opioids based on the full FDA REMS blueprint, our faculty will also review the nature of pain and pain management, immediate Release/Short Acting opioids and the CDC Guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
This activity is intended to be fully compliant with the ER/LA Opioid Analgesics Risk Evaluation Mitigation Strategy (REMS) education requirements.
Following this webinar, you will be able to:
- Describe the appropriate patient assessment for treatment with ER/LA opioid analgesics.
- Describe the process for prescribing ER/LA opioid analgesics, include initiation, modification and discontinuing.
- Discuss the plan for management of ongoing therapy with ER/LA opioid analgesics.
- Describe the methods to counsel patients and caregivers about safe use of ER/LA opioid analgesics.
- Describe 3 adverse events or side effects possible when using ER/LA opioid analgesics.
Review the presenters' responses to questions that were not addressed during the webinar.
The American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AAHPM designates this live activity for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only those credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Post-Test and Evaluation
It is critical that each recording learner completes the post-activity assessment (post-test) and evaluation by September 30, 2018. In order to access the assessment, login to your AAHPM account, click on CE/Evaluation, click on “Audio Recording” or “Webinar” then click on evaluate.
Participants that received continuing medical education (CME) credit for the September 6 live webinar are not eligible for CME credit for the recording as the content is the same in both learning formats.
AAHPM records all recent webinars to ensure you can access relevant and important education on your own time. Available in both MP3 (audio only) and MP4 (audio and PPT presentation) formats, webinar recordings are great tools for on-the-go study.
- 2017 Coding and Medicare Changes for Billing (2016; webinar and audio only)
- De-prescribing of Antipsychotics in Nursing Home Patients: Current CMS Guidelines (2016; webinar and audio only)
- Compassionate Practice: Mindfulness and Contemplative Approaches to Care (2015; webinar)
- Hospice Medical Director Certification Board Exam Preparation (2015; webinar)
- Quality: The Role of the Palliative Care Clinician (2015; webinar)
- Burnout: Effective Interventions for Hospice and Palliative Care Clinicians (2014; webinar and audio only)
- 2015 Billing Updates for Physician Services (2014; webinar and audio only)