AAHPM offers multiple webinars throughout the year. All past webinars are available for purchase as an audio file or video file in the online store.
Opioid Therapy in the Seriously Ill: Managing Substance Abuse Risk
Russell Portenoy, MD
Wednesday, January 17, 2018
1 - 2 pm ET (12 - 1 pm CT)
Why is it important to palliative care specialists to have knowledge and skills related to the assessment and management of substance abuse outcomes during opioid treatment for chronic pain? Information relevant to the epidemiology and clinical consequences of drug abuse will be reviewed.
What are the clinical phenomena and conditions that must be appreciated to effectively address the risk of abuse? The presentation will provide detail sufficient to assist in diagnosis.
What management strategies can minimize the adverse consequences of opioid abuse? A "universal precautions" approach, modified for populations with advanced illness will be described.
Following this webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify and characterize the phenomenology of drug abuse, addiction and other outcomes in opioid-treated populations with serious illness.
- Describe the process of risk assessment in the population with serious illness.
- Discuss management techniques for patients with serious chronic illness and active or potential drug abuse behaviors.
Dr. Portenoy serves as a principal investigator on research grants funded by Astra Zeneca and Tabula Rasa.
There is a $40 cancellation fee. No refunds will be given 72 hours prior to the webinar.
CME Credit (Live Event)
The American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AAHPM designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME credits must be claimed by March 5, 2018.
The recording (MP3 and MP4) will be available for purchase in the AAHPM online store by February. There will be no CME credit for the recording.
Past Webinar Recordings
AAHPM records all recent webinars to ensure you can access relevant and important education on your own time. Available in both MP3 (audio only) and MP4 (audio and PPT presentation) formats, webinar recordings are great tools for on-the-go study.
- Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives (2017; webinar and audio only)
- 2017 Coding and Medicare Changes for Billing (2016; webinar and audio only)
- De-prescribing of Antipsychotics in Nursing Home Patients: Current CMS Guidelines (2016; webinar and audio only)
- Compassionate Practice: Mindfulness and Contemplative Approaches to Care (2015; webinar)
- Hospice Medical Director Certification Board Exam Preparation (2015; webinar)
- Quality: The Role of the Palliative Care Clinician (2015; webinar)