AAHPM Leadership Forum: Ignite
October 12, 2021 | 9am-3:30pm CT
AAHPM Ignite is live programming typically offered at the Annual Assembly, but took place virtually in 2021. Enjoy an engaging day with your peers and a stellar faculty to help up your leadership game.
These sessions will equip hospice and palliative care team leaders with an understanding and recognition of one's strengths and limitations as a leader and how to say "yes" in leadership conversations.
9am - 12pm CT: Using StrengthsFinder Leadership Strategies to Increase the Performance of You and Your Team in Palliative Care and Hospice Settings
Christina Rowe, MSOL - The Collaborative LLC
Discover what makes you stand out using a strengths-based approach to create consistent and positive outcomes in everyday challenges. Strengths are the unique combination of talents, knowledge, and skills that every person possesses. You will complete a StrengthsFinder assessment which will help to identify personal strengths to focus on becoming a more effective leader. In this engaging 3-hour session, you will learn how to develop and leverage your strengths during common friction points as well as times of abnormally high stress like the past year. You will engage in large and small group discussions, self-reflection, and scenario-based activities to learn strategies and tactics for applying a strengths-based approach to individual and team challenges.
12 - 1pm CT: Break
1pm - 3:30pm CT: More Paths to 'Yes' in Leadership Conversations
Katie Neuendorf, MD, FAAHPM, Cleveland Clinic
Tammie Quest, MD, FAAHPM, Emory Palliative Care Center
Christina Rowe, MSOL, The Collaborative LLC
Michael Schmitt, PT, DPT, MS, Emory Palliative Care Center
AAHPM's Leadership and Career Development Committee and Leadership Forum is excited to bring an Ignite session to a virtual platform. There are many nuanced skills in leadership. One of those skills is conversations to advocate for the needs of your program, your team or yourself. While we in hospice and palliative care (HPC) pride ourselves in the art of difficult communication, somehow the communication skills that bring us success with patients fall flat in the board room. In this session, we will identify the most common strengths found in HPC leaders and the strategies in leadership conversations that capitalize on those strengths. Successful phrases in leadership conversations will be discussed and then practiced. You will leave this session feeling ready, and maybe even excited, for the challenge of your next difficult leadership conversation to find the path to "Yes!"
The Desired Ignite Forum Outcomes are for learners:
(1) to incorporate StrengthsFinder™ Leadership Strategies into practice application to increase performance of individual learners and their teams in palliative care and hospice settings by integrating the most common strengths and strategies found in hospice and palliative care leaders to discover the path to successfully advocate for the needs of your program, your team and yourself.
(2) > 80% of learners will self-report this activity enhanced the learner’s knowledge/skills/strategy or performance to increase competency, influence behaviors, and/or improve outcomes in the learners’ hospice/palliative care leadership skills and advocacy roles.
Registration to attend AAHPM Ignite closed October 8 at 3pm CT.
Member Price: $249 ($299 beginning September 4)
Nonmember Price: $349 ($429 beginning September 4)
"This is a tool I can use for my own teams. It's not expensive and so worth the time! I even plan to share this with my own supervisor. Really terrific session!"
"Focusing on strengths buoys the whole team - individual growth and development, expanding strengths to reach other areas, and utilizing others' strengths to bolster our own or to complement our own is a huge boon to consistently fostering positive outcomes for my team and our patients and families in palliative care."
"Understanding my strengths allows me to further develop and utilize them in my daily practice."
Continuing Education Credits
- The American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to sponsor continuing medical education for physicians.
- The AAHPM designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for successful completion. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity and must complete the post-course evaluation within the timeframe identified.
- Evaluation period closed November 12, 2021, for claiming CME awards.
- None of the planners, faculty, or staff for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s) to disclose with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.