American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Membership
Nearly 5,500 physicians, nurses, and healthcare professionals interested in the specialty of hospice and palliative medicine represent AAHPM membership. Our members work in a variety of urban, rural, and suburban healthcare settings, including hospitals, hospices, managed-care facilities and academic institutions, with varied patient populations—from pediatrics to geriatrics. The majority of the Academy's physician members specialize in family and internal medicine.
EDUCATION to keep you informed
AAHPM offers in-person and online educational opportunities that address critical topics in hospice and palliative care, from administrative challenges to evidence-based treatment of severe symptoms. These are designed to increase your competence and ability to practice effectively with patients and families and within the interdisciplinary team.
As a member, you will benefit from discounts on popular product and registration fees to attend and participate in educational programs.
RESOURCES to help you practice smarter
Stay up-to-date with resources related to clinical practice, key developments in the specialty, and AAHPM activities. As a member, you will be given access to a number of resources, such as:
- Journal of Pain and Symptom Management - printed educational journal
- PC-FACS - an electronic "journal watch" that summarizes key articles from more than 100 medical and scientific journals
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine SmartBriefs - twice weekly subscription
- AAHPM Quarterly - our quarterly AAHPM newsletter
- Online products and textbooks - available in the AAHPM bookstore.
NETWORKING to increase your professional connections
Gain access to a network of valuable contacts via:
- online directory - see where other members practice
- committees and advisory groups - get involved and meet others
- Job Mart - online repository of current openings
- Communities - through AAHPM Connect, there are many unique opportunities to network, collaborate, and share information with other members.
AAHPM also offers physicians a number of innovative career development programs, including leadership development, which offers you access to thought leaders in hospice and palliative medicine.
ADVOCACY to amplify your voice
The Academy tracks critical issues and provides you with the information and tools required to be an effective advocate for your patients and your practice. Leveraging representation in Washington, DC, AAHPM promotes policies that will expand access to palliative care and hospice, grow the palliative care workforce, protect patient access to needed medications, and increase support for research in the field.
Whether responding to the latest regulatory threats, advancing palliative care and hospice in national quality initiatives, or working to ensure palliative care is recognized in emerging payment and delivery models, AAHPM fights for sound health policy that furthers the interests of patients and families facing serious illness and the professionals that care for them.